If you plan on traveling to New York and making the most of your trip, you may want to look for a few cost-effective things that you can do in the Big Apple. New York is one of America’s most expensive places to live in. There are so many things that you can do on a budget, places to eat and sites to see. Below is a list of New York City’s best-kept secrets.
Where in New York City Should You Stay?
If you are looking for budget-friendly accommodation, then you should consider the Outpost Club. They offer homes that you can rent on a month to month basis. These homes are fully furnished and have various amenities like free WiFi, luxurious finishes, breathtaking views and are situated in the best parts of the city. You also have the option of sharing a room or getting a private room at a slightly higher price. You can search for the home that suits your needs and one that is located in the part of New York that you will be spending the most time. Outpost Club is a network of co-living houses which allows you to rent a home or room basically anywhere in New York. All accommodation includes cleaning and maintenance, utilities, security, co-working space, and kitchen essentials.
Trekking through New York may be fun, but it can also be daunting trying to find places that will genuinely interest you. Here is a list of a few attractions you might want to check out.
- The Doyers Street Tunnel – It is also known as the Bloody Angle. In 1905 gangs used to wait on this street that is bent in a 90-degree angle. This 200-feet street is considered one of the most violent in American history. This is an interesting historical place to visit to learn more about the Big Apple.
- Radio City’s Secret Apartment – This music hall opened in 1932 and is an NYC icon home to the famous Rockettes. It is known for its art deco décor and murals. It also contains a secret apartment built for Samuel Rothafel known as Roxy. This apartment is used to wine and dine celebrities with its 20-foot high ceilings that are covered in gold leaf.
- El Sabroso – This eatery is becoming very popular however many people have trouble finding it. They serve Latin American food for under $10, which is situated between a coffee shop and a smoke shop.
- 77 Water Street – This 26-story tower is not an ordinary office building. On top of its roof is a World War l fighter plane with a candy store in its lobby.
- Midtown’s 25-foot waterfall – This waterfall is located between Second and Third Avenues and is also known as Greenacre Park. It is a beautiful and scenic escape which offers visitors a tranquil and calm place to relax.
- New York City Transit Museum – This museum features 19 restored historical MTA vehicles that were used in the 1900’s. Visitors may even get to ride on the vintage train to the Bronx or Coney Island.
Thankfully there are many things you can do in New York on a budget. It is possible to visit NYC attractions and find affordable eateries without pulling out your credit card.
- Stroll down the 52-acre Botanic Garden in Brooklyn. Visitors can usually enter the park for a small admission fee of $15, but on a Friday morning, entrance is free.
- The bi-level East Village bar 2A’s comedy that takes place weekly is free, and they even serve their guests’ free pizza.
- Visit the Downtown Boathouse for free 20-minute kayaking sessions which takes you paddling across Hudson River and the West Side.
- The Bell House has a #TBT event where they celebrate artists of the 90s in each bash. Entrance is free.
- Home Sweet Home dive bar plays old school tracks instead of the latest hip-hop music. Entrance is free before 11 pm and $5 after 3 am.
- The syndicated restaurant allows you to sit under the stars while enjoying your favorite meals. For $5 you can dine while watching your favorite movies on a big screen at the restaurant.
- You can visit the Van Cortlandt House Museum for $5 where you will be able to walk through a grey fieldstone mansion. This place was built before the Revolutionary war and served as the home of the Van Cortlandt family until the late 19th century.
- On a Monday you can benefit from a reduced rate of $5 a session at the Overthrow Boxing Club. The usual fee is $30 at both its Brooklyn and Manhattan outpost clubs.
New Yorkers are not strangers to eating on a budget. The city has some of the best cheap pizza parlors and deli sandwiches. Below is a list of a few places you can eat at, on a budget.
- Shake Shack – This place is best known for their burgers, crinkle fries, and frozen custard. Even though there is always a long queue, the good news is that it moves rather quickly.
- The Arepa Lady – Maria Cano who was born in Colombia has made a name for herself with her famous buttery corn cakes. Though her stall is always busy, you will find the prices affordable. She also makes sweet and savory pockets of cheese and chorizo.
- Yonah Schimmel Knish Bakery – This bakery dates back to 1910 and sells homemade knishes. It has since become a popular place to have a meal coupled with a pickle and coleslaw.
- Red Hook Lobster Pound – Ralph and Susan, husband and wife team opened up the first lobster shack in Red Hook back in 2009. Now, they have branches in many places in NYC and have added many exciting dishes to their menu. They even have a food truck that is always on the move.
Make Your NYC Trip Memorable
- iOS features you should know
- Ten Premium Sedans to Consider When Buying a Used Car
- Tips for completing school writing task
- A Beginner’s Guide to Learn How to Fix Cars
- How to Choose a Web Hosting Provider
- Best Software for Startups and SMEs
- Breeding Dubia Roaches
- Healthy Weight for Pregnancy and Birth – Sport, Diet
- Importance of Installing the Security Alarm System
- Casino Sites for New Zealanders
Traveling to NYC does not have to cost as there are many ways to experience the city on a budget. Accommodation can be cheaply acquired from Outpost Club, and there are so many attractions to visit and restaurants that you could try out. The secret is spending some time researching special offers and discounts, which are readily available at many places throughout the city.