The online casino industry was born somewhere in the 1990s and exploded at the start of the next century. There were only a handful of gambling sites at the beginning, but you can pick from hundreds or even thousands of them nowadays.
The competition for customers is fierce, and this works in the best favor of the players. One of the many perks is that the leading real money casinos offer a ton of different games.
In this post, we will take a look at the most popular among them.
There’s no other category of online casino games that can compete with slots when it comes to popularity. Millions of people from all over the globe prefer them over anything else.
As a result, there are plenty of game studios that are working almost exclusively on slots. You can find all kinds of titles, from classic slots with only a couple of paylines and simple graphics to 3D games with interactive visuals and various gameplay features.
In the past year or so, we’ve even seen the first couple of virtual reality slots released, so the future of this segment of the online gambling industry seems bright.
The casino sites are certainly happy with that because the slots come with a solid house edge. And still, the chance to win millions from progressive jackpots with only one spin will keep attracting more and more people. That’s for sure.
Roulette is one of the oldest and most iconic casino games ever. Nowadays, there are all kinds of variations available on the internet, but the main concept is the same. You place your stakes, the ball spins, and Lady Luck decides your fate.
The simplicity of roulette and the tension in those couple of seconds in which the marble is trying to find its place make the game a fan favorite that is obviously here to stay.
Almost every single casino on the web offers at least a couple of roulette tables. The most popular variations are the European and American roulette. We strongly recommend the former, as it comes with only one zero and a much better house edge.
If you are a fan of more realistic experiences, you should find some live casino tables with real dealers. There are plenty available online, and they provide the best out of both worlds.
If we exclude some variations of poker, blackjack is by far the most popular card casino game on the internet. You can learn the rule in minutes, but mastering the best strategy is another story.
You heard us right. Blackjack is one of the casino games that actually involves a decision-making process that affects your results in the long run. If you play the optimal strategy, the house edge is less than 1% for many blackjack variations.
One of the downsides of the game is that you can’t win big from only one hand. On the bright side, the skill involved makes it interesting for people who don’t want to simply throw some chips in the middle of the table and hope for the best.
Similar to roulette, there are plenty of online casinos that offer blackjack tables with real dealers through live streams.
One of the categories of games most hated by the online casinos themselves is the video poker machines. The reason is simple — they also include strategy, and if you’re good, you are very close to the breakeven point.
In fact, there are some variations of video poker in which the player has the edge if he is perfect in his actions. That’s the reason you will rarely see bonuses and promotions that can be used on video poker machines.
That doesn’t stop plenty of people who love the excitement of video poker, though. Most titles even have a large jackpot, so you have the chance to win huge prizes from a single round.
It’s hard to leave baccarat out of this list for one simple reason. This is by far the most popular casino game among high rollers. You will often see people bet crazy money on baccarat, especially in online casinos with real dealers.
There’s something about baccarat that attracts the whales. It’s probably the simple gameplay that doesn’t require much skill but leaves the opposite impression.
There are a lot of similarities with blackjack, but the player in baccarat makes only one decision at the start of the hand, and that’s where to place his wagers.
It’s common knowledge that betting on the dealer represents the best odds, but people keep backing the player, or even worse, going after the draw.
Other Popular Casino Games
We’ve covered the most popular casino games so far, but there are a couple of other titles that certainly deserve at least an honorable mention.
- Arcade games: The casino arcade games are similar to slots but not exactly the same. They often include some skill or at least the illusion of skill, which makes them attractive to many people.
- Scratch cards: The classic scratch cards are not exactly a hit on the web, but a good number of casinos still offer them. Their main selling point is that you can often win huge prizes with a small investment.
- Keno: This game has a small but loyal fan base out there. There’s something about number games like keno that keep people returning.
- Craps: If you like dice, you most certainly will love craps. The game comes with a bunch of different betting options and offers a lot of thrills.
- Casino poker: The fans of card games can enjoy plenty of variations of casino poker games such as Caribbean Stud Poker, Three Card Poker, Texas Poker, and more.
- Wheel of Fortune: In the past couple of years, a lot of casinos online have launched some version of the popular TV Show Wheel of Fortune. Most of them were an instant success so that we might see more of that soon.
- Pai gow: The people in the Far East and China, in particular, have always had a soft spot for gambling. One of the games that became popular worldwide is pai gow. It’s simple on the surface but offers a lot of excitement once you get to know it.
As you can see, there are a ton of exciting casino games out there. Considering the projected rapid growth of the industry in the next couple of years, we might see new titles earn a place on the list of most popular casino games on the internet.
And yet, the industry is still dominated by some of the classics that were invented long before the internet.