No matter the product or service you want to offer, you need a website to operate in the 21st Century. Outsourcing the job to website development services is usually the best thing to do. Sure, you may have to pay hefty web development services prices; but you can rest easy knowing they have the knowledge, skills, and expertise to meet your business’ requirements.
However, if you want to try out web development yourself or you’re simply interested to learn the basics and are unsure which programming language to use; here is a quick and easy guide. In this guide, we’ll answer the question: what is the best programming language for web development?
What Makes a Programming Language the Best
Any web developer would tell you; there is no one best programming language. What may work great for one programmer may not work at all for another. Some languages are better for specific tasks or easier to implement with other parts of the business (APIs).
So instead of asking what is the best programming language for web development; let’s take a look at the factors you should look at when choosing a programming language.
- Platform – Which platform will the program be run?
- Industry – What language is being used by others in the same industry or domain?
- Efficiency – Which language is the most efficient?
- Flexibility – Can programs be added along the way?
- Performance – Is the language’s overall performance up to your standards?
- Libraries – Does it come with a library of help in case problems pop up?
- Size of Project – Can the language support the size and scope of your project?
- Time – How much time is needed to produce the program?
- Tools – Does it come with tools to allow you to edit and control your work?
The Top 5 Programming Languages Used in Web Development
Now that we know what to look for in a programming language let’s talk about the most popular ones among web developers.
- Java – Java is an all-purpose language that runs on almost all platforms, can easily be learned, and very versatile. It is considered by many to be the best programming language for web development. It certainly is the most popular because of its “write once, run everywhere” characteristic.
- Python – Besides its functionality and versatility, it’s also easy to learn and use, even for beginners — python powers popular sites like Instagram, Pinterest, among others. Besides web development, you can also use Python for mobile development, system administration, and others.
- PHP – PHP was designed for web development and also as an all-purpose programming language for different platforms. It’s so widely-used that it powers more than 200 million sites, including WordPress and Facebook. PHP is the best language for server-side programming.
- Go – Like, Python, Go is simple to write and is able to provide better features for writing concurrent programs. It is flexible, easy-to-use, has a strong community behind it, and is great for building high-performance web applications.
If you’re looking to join the 21st Century online marketplace or you simply want to develop websites on your own, the only way to find out what is the best programming language for web development is to evaluate and try them out.