Have you been looking to expand your knowledge around one of your favorite hobbies? Or win any casino-related rounds at your local pub’s trivia night? Or maybe you just want to impress your fellow betting buddies with your bank of fun casino facts?
Whether any of the above apply to you, or you’re just looking for a spot of fun and lighthearted reading, this article offers a little something for everyone.
Fun Facts About Traditional Casinos
We’ll start off our list of fun facts by taking a look at facts and figures relating to traditional casinos. These aren’t your generic facts that can be found on any old website. We bet you’ll love them.
1. The World’s Oldest Casino opened in 1638
The world’s oldest casino can be found on the bank of the Grand Canal in Venice. Originally the Theatre Saint Moses, this now-famous spot once only had a wing dedicated to gambling where guests of the theatre could spend intermissions. Today, this 1638 casino is considered a landmark. If you’re interested in the Casino di Venezia’s architecture, be sure to check out this tour.
2. Gambling is a Celebrity Sports Too
Don’t think that gambling is only reserved for everyday folk because that couldn’t be further from the truth. In fact, a number of famous celebrities love trying their luck at casinos. The list of celebrities that love gambling includes the likes of:
- Charlie Sheen
- Ben Affleck
- Matt Damon
- Tobey Maguire
- Pamela Anderson
- Ray Romano
- Cameron Diaz
3. There are More than 100 Films About Casinos and Gambling
Casinos and gambling form the storyline of over 100 separate films. Most of these movies are dramas or actions, but a handful of them are comedies. Some of the most noteworthy casino films include the likes of:
- The Cincinnati Kid, 1965: Drama
- The Sting, 1973: Crime, Comedy
- Maverick, 1994: Action, Adventure, Comedy
- Casino, 1995: Crime, Drama
- Rounders, 1998: Crime, Drama
- Ocean’s Eleven, 2001: Crime, Thriller
- 21, 2008: Crime, Drama
Fun Facts About Online Casinos
Since you have access to some of the best online casinos in Canada and the rest of the world just a few strokes of the keyboard away, we thought we should include a few online casino facts too.
4. 82% of All Online Gamblers are Male
While it may come as no surprise that the world of online casinos is occupied by mainly men, what is surprising are the differences between male gamblers and female gamblers (who make up 18% of the gambling world). For instance, women spend an average of 21 months of their lifetime gambling, whereas men spend roughly 14 months of their lifetime gambling online.
5. The Biggest Online Casino Win was €17,861,813
Back in 2013, a Finnish man in his 40s placed a 25-cent bet on Mega Fortune through a Scandinavian online casino and won €17,861,813. Can you even imagine what you would do if this happened to you? You can check out this lucky man’s spin for yourself right here.
6. Online Gambling is Entirely Illegal in 7 Countries
That’s right! The residents of seven countries are being denied the opportunity to gamble online—on domestic and international online casinos alike. These countries are:
- 5 Necessary Elements for Creating Inspiring Education
- 4 Ways to Prevent Damage to Your Home When Moving
- Build a Mobile Application: 3 Fundamental Steps
- How to Get More Views on YouTube?
- Online Dating Tips To Get Somewhere With Ukrainian Babes
- How to Tell if an Email is Fake: An Informative Guide
- Shivering Solutions – A Household Guide To Fighting The Cold
- 5 Reasons Custom Made Challenge Coins Are Great Gift Ideas
- Top Five Qualities to Look for in an Essay Writing Service
- 5 of the Best Online Slot Games
- North Korea
- United Arab Emirates
7. The First Online Casino, InterCasino, was Established in 1996
The world’s first online casino is the forefather of all online casinos of today. That would be InterCasino, an online casino that was revealed to the world on November 17, 1996. To date, InterCasino has paid out more than $3 billion in winnings. However, today many countries do not allow their residents to play on InterCasino—including the US, Hong Kong, Vietnam, and Turkey.
8. The Global Online Gambling Market is Expected to Surpass the $94 billion in 2024
If you thought online casinos were just a fad, change your thinking because, by 2024, the market will be valued at more than $94 billion. Back in 2017, the market was valued at $45.8 billion. The industry as a whole is seeing exponential growth, so it’s safe to say it’s not going anywhere anytime soon.
And there you have it: 8 fun facts about casinos! Which facts were more interesting to you—those relating to the traditional brick and mortar casinos we all know and love or those pertaining to the exciting arena of online casinos? Let us know your preference in the comments section below, so we know what to write about next time.